Unspoiled country of the Szeklers' Transylvania region of Romania
Transylvania has been famous since Bram Stoker wrote the novel about Count Dracula, a person who never existed, although it is said that the character of Dracula was based on Vlad the Impaler who ruled over Transylvania in the 15th century, and appeared to have had a desire to shed blood. But there are no vampires in Transylvania! Only bears and reindeer in the forests, a beautiful country with farming and crafts people, calm and peaceful, and definitely not commercialised.
Revel in a quiet peaceful week, escaping from everyday stress where you can discover the way of life of a Szekler village in Transylvania. Learn about the village people, their crafts, cooking and traditional homemade food recipes. Experience the harmony between nature and people, observe, touch and feel the secrets of the Szeklerland.
This region of thermal springs, mineral waters, and even a cold geyser, will surprise you with its volcanic crater lake, salt mines and its gemstone, the Corund Aragonite. Polish your own aragonite jewel to take home as your private memory of your visit to this land. Learn about the local foods, artisan arts and crafts, cheese-making, pottery, basket-weaving, bee-keeping, jam and syrup making and more. Enjoy a week of recharging the senses, so you return home richer in spirit than when you came.
Included in the Szeklerland Small Group Tour:
- Airport transfer both on arrival and departure from/to Cluj Napoca airport (other airports by arrangement)
- 6 overnights at a **** traditional village mansion, Molnos Kuria with full buffet breakfast
- 6 fine á la carte dinners in different gourmet restaurants
- 7 days of activities with full time tour guide:
- 1 visit with tasting at a local cheese maker farm
- 1 fried trout lunch at local freshwater trout farm
- 2 do-it-yourself cooking experiences with lunch
- 1 visit to a peat bog, home of berries, insect eating flowers and 1000 year old trees
- 1 visit to a local mushroom producer, tasting included
- 1 visit to a local wild berry jam and syrup producer, tasting included
- 1 tour with horse drawn cart on the scarce farmland of Valea lui Pavel
- 1 guided visit to a pottery workshop in Corund, the biggest pottery center of Europe
- 1 guided visit to a bio certified beekeeper, where we will learn about the super-organism of a bee hive, of course honey tasting included
- 1 guided visit to a tinder (amadou) workshop, a rare craft operated by only 6 families
- 1 guided visit to a traditional weaver workshop
- 1 walking day focused on the szekler gemstone, the Aragonite of Corund, which includes treasure hunting, mining, Museum visiting, bathing and experimental do-it-yourself aragonite grinding and polishing your own gemstone by your own hand.
- 1 biking day (optional by bike) visiting the country’s only one Straw hut Museum (learning by doing the straw weaving), then visiting a traditional gypsy basket weaver where we will learn by doing the willow basket art&craft.
- experimental do-it-yourself pottery workshop. You can keep your product as memory.
- 1 car driven day focusing on post volcanic phenomena. Visit and taste of different mineral water springs, rare cold water geyser in Chirui, the unique volcanic St. Ana Lake and Balvanyos area with natural jacuzzi, Sulphurous Cave mofette, Bath of Apor Sisters.
- 1 visit to a certified traditional palinka (fruit brandy) distillery, tasting of 7 brandy type included.
- 1 visit to a 100 year old photo studio where you discover the traditional photo making process
- bear watching in the untouched wilderness forests of Szeklerland, in their own habitat
- visit to biggest underground salt mine of Romania, and the European rarity Salt Canyon
Arrival / departure:
- Includes transfers to/from the following airports: Cluj Napoca, Sibiu, Targu Mures
Wizz Air has flights to:
- Cluj Napoca from Frankfurt, Vienna, London (Luton), Paris (Beauvais-Tille), Munich (West Memmingen)
- Targu Mures from Munich (West Memmingen) London (Luton), Budapest
- Sibiu from Munich (West Memmingen), Frankfurt, London (Luton)
Lufthansa has flights to:
- Cluj Napoca from Munich and Frankfurt
- Sibiu from Munich
- If you wish to arrive and/or stay a few days before or after your tour in Bucharest or Budapest, we can arrange transfers by car from these two cities
- Guided in English, German, Hungarian and Romanian
- Minimum of 3 x guests
Slow Tours offers a number of other Small Group Tours in Europe